Sunday, April 15, 2012

Day 23: Dresden

Double Decker Horse Drawn Carriage?!

Annnnd we're back in Deutschland!  We left Prague this morning for Dresden via another train.  Funny story actually, we got on the train and were chatting with the fellow in our compartment about Prague and languages and things.  General chit chat you know.  Suddenly the conductor came on the loud speaker and said something in Czech and I said, jokingly, "hah see he could have said 'this train is not actually going to Dresden, you need to get off at the next stop' or something and I'd never know!"  The guy smiled and said, "Yeah you have to get off and get on a bus at the next stop."  I replied saying, "yeah see and I'd believe you and just get off the train."  A few minutes later the woman checking tickets came by and said, "Ah yes you know that this train isn't going to Dresden, right?  You have to catch a bus from the next stop."  I looked back at the guy and said, "you know I was joking, right?  I had no idea the train wasn't actually going to Germany!"  He laughed and said that he thought I knew.  What a coincidence!

Anyhow, we got off and grabbed a replacement bus to Dresden where we walked around for a bit.  Once again I feel kind of dumb because I really don't know anything about the city.  I know it was pretty obliterated in WWII--basically totally set on fire.  There were a lot of civilian deaths in Dresden which by the way is the 4th largest city in Germany.  So a lot of the buildings are quite new and nice looking and the streets aren't too confusing.  There is also a lot of open space which I imagine is sometimes filled with markets of sorts.  And then the older buildings seem to have a lot of dark, black stone which I have decided I think might have been stone that was charred or burned during WWII.  Other than that we basically just followed a city map around and tried to listen in on some tour guides we saw per usual.

We hung around in a Starbucks working on our essays for about four hours.  I'm about a third of the way through.    Not only do we have a fair bit of work but I can also say that we're pretty tired in general I think.  I, for one, am glad that we're in Berlin where we won't be moving for four nights.  I love seeing these new cities but I'm ready to be back in London sitting around studying or staring at the ceiling.  I'm hoping that the excitement of Berlin, Hamburg, Amsterdam, and Belgium will get me through the last week.  I'm definitely looking forward to it all but I am also pretty exhausted, hah.

Anyways, we headed out to the train station for another train to Berlin where we are now hanging out in another Wombats hostel enjoying our third complementary drink (you get one in each Wombat's hostel).  Today I chose juice lol.  Oh and I turned 21 today!  We had Champagne last night at midnight to celebrate but there was no way I was finishing the bottle so I gave half of it to some people in the kitchen.  I've still got a little over 200 Kc left over.  Even on my birthday I was incapable of spending the rest of it but I figure I'll get two subway sandwiches worth in GBP when I get back to London hopefully.  That's all I've got for now!  Hopefully the Berlin posts to come should be fairly interesting.
 
The biggest Protestant dome in the world I think (left) and the remnants of the foundation can be seen in this building on the right.

I don't know if you can see what I mean by the black but often times towers were not targeted in WWII because they were used as landmarks since they didn't have GPS basically.  At least that's what we were told in Munich!

The Opera House

The Zwinger (a Museum)

No comments:

Post a Comment