Saturday, November 12, 2011

Museums

London has free Museums, yayy!  They are some of the nicest buildings around too!

The Natural History Museum had an ice rink and a merry go round!  So cool.

 
The Natural History Museum (left) and the Victoria and Albert (V&A, right) court yard.  They're across the street from each other so Brendan and I hit them up last Saturday.

They had a scale model of a Blue Whale... crazy!

It was unusually hot when Brendan and I got here so the leaves fell on the hot asphalt that had just been laid and are now somewhat permanently laid in this bit of road.

The Tate Britain Museum.  Ben's favorite.

Natrional Portrait Gallery Museum in Trafalgar Square.  I actually have an Italian Renaissance Art class that meets next door at the National Gallery.  The Portrait Museum was pretty cool though.  Brendan and I perused the halls and it was really interesting.

In case you're ever looking to visit museums in London, here's how they were in my experience:
--National Portrait Gallery: Pretty cool!  A lot of, well, portraits from old Kings and Queens up to current day people.
--National Gallery: Also quite nice.  I've really only seen Italian Renaissance art there but they had an exhibition on Da Vinci and appear to have mostly paintings.
--Tate Britain: A little weird... Some of the paintings were nice but some of the exhibits (sculptures, photographs, paintings...) were a little too abstract for my taste.
--Natural History: Your regular science museum I suppose.  Reminded me a lot of the one in Boston.  Quite interactive and you'll find a lot of kids there as well.
--V&A: Sculptures, and lots of them!  If paintings and pictures aren't your thing, then I recommend this place.

No comments:

Post a Comment